Friday, May 28, 2010

Molly Gaudry
















Happy Easter, Meg


You'd think, if your balloon lost
all its float, that maybe you'd be
sad, but look here, take note:
there is a lesson to be learned;
this girl's rising might be seen
as fearlessness, her toes, pointed
as they are, as arrows leading
the way, and the simple fact
that her skirt's hem isn't
fluttering, as proof that miracles
do happen and a yellow balloon
can act, in times of need, as an
anchor -- a bright bit of stability.















What is the Story of Legs?

for Tim Jones-Yelvington


What do you think is happening here?
To what extent is this image doctored,

posed, fabricated, and why? For what
reason? Or do you think it might be

a picture of some rare, beautiful truth?
I love those yellow shoes. That's no lie.

Who do you think these legs belong to?
What are the stories of those legs? How

did they get so golden-hued and strong?
How many others' legs have touched

those legs? What is the story of legs?
Have you ever considered your own?

I can't say I have, truth be told. But I
imagine this is not the case for many,

especially those who do not have them,
or do not have the use of them. What

does it mean to use? I am probably
guilty of abusing my legs, at one time

or another. And for this I feel ashamed
of my own impossible and meaningless

methods of destruction. These legs will
outlast me. The stories they could tell

you about who I am, was, might want
to be some day soon. Just ask them.

1 comment:

  1. i love the balloon losing its float and the way the poem offers a different view of it acting as an anchor.

    ReplyDelete